Design, Planning, Carpentry and Project Management
Hardware and Building Supply Stores
HANDS ON KNOWLEDGE
The Question: How does one take a seemingly disassociated group of folks who gather together for the greater purpose of removing such disassociation so that a remarkably positive team environment flourishes?
The Answer: Channel left sided brain analysis to right sided brain creative momentum.
- Developed and Supervised Outward Bound Type Stress Management Program for returning Veterans in Boulder, Colorado. (25 People)
1974 – 1978 September School, Boulder, Colorado
- Designed, built and developed crafts oriented skills program for school for children with developmental disabilities. (20 People)
- Coordinated staging and set up crews for both festivals. (70 People)
- Odyssey Of The Mind – Parent Teacher Coach
- Fennville Community Built Playground – Construction Coordinator. (200 People)
- Pullman Community(GED) School - Construction Trades Skills Development Instructor. (25 People)
- Pullman, Michigan Public Library - Volunteer Building Renovation Coordinator. (30 People)
- Beye School Community Built Playground Construction Coordinator. (300 People)
- Volunteer Center of Oak Park and River Forest – Events/Fundraising Coordinator.
Graphic Arts and Advertising
Curriculum vitae (cont.)
I’m fairly certain there is and I'm equally certain putting the plan together requires the work of a rather dynamic team of people with truly diverse backgrounds and well disciplined, multidimensional approaches to creative, in the box, and, out of the box problem solving.
- Extensive knowledge of advanced building codes as such pertain to the establishment of a most comprehensive and broad based municipal code enforcement/educational model for the successful mixed, alternative energy based retrofitting of all buildings in any given residential, commercial office, retail or light industrial neighborhood based setting.
- The ability to understand and clearly redefine in quite intricate detail the existing functions of all public works departments including parks and recreation, streets and sanitation, energy and recycling, water and sewer, municipal building maintenance, fire and rescue as such functions are upgraded to interact with modern zoning, planning, mixed energy use transportation as well as building code enforcement initiatives.
- The ability to future plan for all above mentioned departments from both a regulatory and funding perspective as well as from the perspective of personnel team management as such management is successfully directed toward a broad, community economic development based consensus building mindset.
- The ability to look articulately at dying or dead neighborhood based business development models, restructure them to accommodate specific growth strategies in targeted energy, construction, light manufacturing, retail and service based business sectors and develop both marketing and advertising strategies that draw all associated client bases into that environmentally refocused business corridor model.
- Comprehensive community based education modeling with a strong emphasis on community college and community business cross training to produce strong qualified job participants in all emerging, 21st century neighborhood based, mixed energy business sectors.
- A keen perspective on available federal, state, local and private sector funding as that funding is approached from a well developed, multidimensional and mixed industrial, regulatory based point of view.
- Extensive background in the research of national building code modeling.
- Extensive background in the research of NAICS industrial coding and clearly needed future green industrial/energy sector coding.
- Extensive background in the research of public electric utility grid blueprinting as well as all public sector utilities having anything at all to do with municipal fresh and waste water technologies, rain water and top soil water runoff management, natural gas fueling technologies pertaining to home heating, localized electric power generation, localized private sector personal automotive, commercial and light industrial transportation based fueling systems, geothermal energy systems, high efficiency wind turbine systems, passive and active solar systems, total construction waste stream management, etc.
- Extensive background in the research of both public and private sector funding models as such modeling pertains to the progressive re-legislation of cooperative funding delivery mechanisms at both the state and federal level.
- Extensive background in the research of “21st century “green specific” construction trades, multiple trade cross training and team building as well as strategic, legislative based, re-blueprinting and re-regulation of those trades.
- Extensive background in the research of public/private sector community college based cooperative educational modeling that is wholly based on the above construction team building model.
- Extensive background in the research of residential, commercial and industrial real estate valuation, zoning parameters as well as mortgage lending best practices as the above is related to the long term financing of not only mortgage instruments, but, the long term capacity of various municipal/industrial bond guarantors to emerge on or at a comprehensive, individual community by individual community based level.
- Excellent interpersonal skills in the communication of highly articulate strategic plans.
- Exceptionally strong technical and creative writing skills.
Chronological Professional Work Experience – 1992 to 2014
The purpose of this research has been to document the manufacturing functions of the industries associated with the S&P 500 as such benchmark functions have evolved with the help of industrial automation globally on one hand while on the other have been severely diminished domestically by an overall failure to integrate these manufacturing functions into a true, mixed energy industrial power generation and distribution platform nationally.
The purpose of this research was to demonstrate the virtual industrial, economic and, therefore, legislative ineffectiveness of such coding if in fact such coding isn't fully integrated into a much broader and whole mixed energy sector industrial model. The moment such NAICS coding does in fact include total interaction with a whole mixed energy industrial model, a remarkable host of new industries emerge while the subsequent economic expansion associated with these new industrial models becomes, for the most part, economically boundless.
Specifics to this commission were the retention of existing corporate manufacturing entities and the attraction of entirely new manufacturing entities within the state. As certain existing manufacturing entities had a certain sub contractor relationship with key aspects of Michigan's auto industry, altogether new manufacturing entities having nothing whatsoever to do with the auto industry were focused upon as well. As the notion of total quality government was indeed meant to address the creation of a business friendly state regulatory framework, the overall
Participant in the work done by the “Michigan Jobs Commission” headed by Doug Rothwell and commissioned by former Governor John Engler. -1993.
Specific to this commission was the retraining of existing Michigan manufacturing based work force and the attraction of new advanced technology workers into the state.
- Developed paper waste recycling/redistribution program for Allegan County, Michigan and the Michigan paper pulp industry. - 1993 - 1994.
- Redesigned and rebuilt the logistics center for Roadway Trucking Inc. in Kalamazoo, Michigan. - 1994.
- Did research at Hope College in Holland, Michigan on the evolution of public utilities as such evolution pertained to the application of wind turbines being integrated into our nation’s broad spectrum public electric utility grid. - !992 to 1994.
- Was invited to the US Department of Commerce to present my research on the integration of wind turbines into our broad national electric power grid. - 1994-1995.
- Construction project coordinator for the Anna Michlen community built playground in Fennville, Michigan. – 1994.
- Parent/mentor for the internationally acclaimed “Odyssey Of The Mind” program. This program, designed for junior high level students, focused on the development of advanced engineering, creative writing and theatrical “learning skits” orchestrated entirely by small groups of creative junior high school team players with virtually no “hands on help” from parents. – 1994 -1995.
- Partner in yacht restoration business located in South Haven, Michigan. My particular role was the redesign of all wood components, electronics and hydraulics installations and the applications of all spar varnishes. – 1993 – 1995.
All aspects of the above research clearly indicated the financial viability of doing what is stated above if and only if substantial but common sense regulatory frameworks were restructured to accommodate such overall mixed energy policy. - 1995 to 2003.
- Owner of residential design/build company in Oak Park, Illinois. -1995 - 2003.
- Developed Beye School “The Reading Tree Program” for kindergartners and first graders. Program emphasis was on adult mentoring with a rather unique and well received award incentive for the kids. - 1998.
- Volunteer Construction Coordinator of the Oak Park, Illinois Beye Public School Community Built Playground. - !999.
- Board of Directors for The Volunteer Center of Oak Park and River Forest, Illinois. - 1997.
- Developed Energy and Environment website for the Village Of Oak Park, Illinois. - 2000.
- Volunteer set designer and builder for the Percy Julian Middle School theatre program in Oak Park, Illinois. -1999 - 2001.
- Volunteer Architectural Designer/Adviser in the assessment of all public school facilities in the Village of Oak Park, Illinois. Our responsibilities were to conduct a physical architectural assessment of the eight public grammar schools and two junior high schools located within the village. The purpose of this assessment was to determine the “environmental integrity of these learning institutions”. With environmental integrity taking on several meanings, we were tasked with the following:
Whereas a distinct set of environmental conditions were causing the long term deterioration of the housing stock in either Chicago by the lakefront or Oak Park located some fifteen or so miles from that lakefront on a rather distinct geographical bluff, in the low lying river valley bounding the Illinois River an entirely different set of environmental conditions were and are continuing to cause an entirely different set of structural problems on the homes in this region.
As these rural LaSalle County geographical conditions are reflected in a tremendous increase in human based upper respiratory conditions due in part to the fact that tremendously low barometric pressures combined with extremely high ground and air moisture content virtually assure the existence of these respiratory conditions, the same weather conditions have led to excessive structural decay of the housing stock due to excessive mold and moisture damage to both foundations and framing members.
What is most crucial to understand here is that while Oak Park, Illinois is within one geographical/climate zone and Ottawa, Illinois is in another, the condition of the architecture within these two regions is more or less in the same severe state of structural deterioration. As both of these communities are essential made up of a rather significant amount of rather beautiful and historic American examples of stick built housing with an average age of some 80 years, the amount and scope of structural decay of this housing stock is decidedly different between these two towns.
In Ottawa, Illinois the homes are being eaten away by excessive moisture and mold that is clearly lending itself to the marked increase in respiratory ailments found in this region of Illinois, the subsequent market devaluation of home prices, much higher costs of building renovation, and, of course, the subsequent unwillingness of potential new industries to move into this area as well as the lack of funding for any type of 21st century community based architectural and engineering as well as building trades job training that would ultimately serve to rectify these issues. On the other hand, the housing stock in Oak Park, Illinois, the homes are more or less being destroyed by dry rotting and the subsequent infiltration of a host of wood eating insects. As the reason for this deterioration is essentially linked to a combination of strong northerly winds, the unstable soil base beneath these structures as well as the fact that there is significantly more solar as well as ultraviolet exposure to these homes, the cost of true retrofitting of these homes is again well beyond the financial capacity of either the homeowner or mortgage company to ever even remotely be able to afford. Adding to this particular problem in Oak Park is the fact that the community is landlocked with virtually no more room for real estate based economic expansion and both the commercial and industrial districts found in and around this community are the same age as the residential structures and equally landlocked.
My research simply demonstrates a rather comprehensive, multi-tiered regulatory, but, rather easily executed set of economic communication dynamics that engage all players in the whole 21st century neighborhood redevelopment process. 2003 - 2014.
- Participant in the Colorado Affordable Housing Commission headed by former Governor Dick Lamb, former Senator Gary Hart and former Boulder Mayor Ruth Correl. Mission of Commission was to develop a twenty year sustainable environmental and economic development plan for the Boulder Valley. - 1976.
- Involved in the economic development and new commercial construction of Arapahoe Village a large scale retail shopping outdoor mall developed by John Cohagen of Boulder, Colorado. -1974 to 1978.
- Operated a residential and commercial design build company. - 1974 - 1980.
- Architectural designer for “The Nomad’s Theatre Playhouse”. A ten thousand square foot theatre renovation project. -1974 to 1978.
- Participant in the annual Shakespeare Festival with the University of Colorado theatrical school. -1974 to 1978.
- Participant in the annual “Arts in the Park Festival” in Boulder, Colorado. -1974 to 1978.
- Co - organizer for the initial and subsequently annual 10k fundraising run for the Boulder County Safe House for Battered Women and Children. -1976 to 1978.
- Developed marketing concept for Celestial Seasonings Iced Tea during merger talks between Celestial Seasonings and Beatrice Foods. -1977 to 1978.
- Developed Green Energy model for Amoco service station located in southeast commercial district of Boulder, Colorado. -1974 to 1978.
- Owner of design/build residential construction company in Oak Lawn, Illinois. - 1981 - 1990.
- Designed and built the first passive solar residence in Oak Lawn, Illinois. - 1987 - 1989.
- Worked for Grey Manufacturing Corporation on the construction of 100,000 sq.ft addition for the L&M Tobacco Company (Liggett and Meyers back then) in Durham, North Carolina. -1974.
- Joined the US Navy and studied at Engineman A School. Worked on a substantial number of mechanical systems found on US Navy Ships. Traveled to Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Sicily and Greece. Studied European culture, architecture, urban planning, transportation and agricultural infrastructure. - 1972 - 1974.
- Worked for The Oak Lawn, Illinois News Agency and Book Store delivering and reading The Chicago Tribune, The Chicago Sun Times, The Chicago Daily News, The Chicago Today, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, National Geographic, Life Magazine, Time Magazine, The Atlantic Monthly, Mother Earth News, Popular Mechanics Magazine, etc. I read every single one of these publications daily. - 1970 - 1972.
Residential, Commercial and Light Industrial Architectural Design and Construction - 1974 to Present.
John Fitzgerald Kennedy – Participated in his first election campaign at the age of 6. (true story)